How do you become a taxi Driver with Nelson City Taxis?
If you are serious about becoming a taxi driver, there are a few things you will require first...
A ‘P’ endorsement – you need to obtain this before you can apply to drive with Nelson Taxis. You can find information about how to apply here.
Once you have your 'P' endorsement, and your application to drive for the Society has been accepted, you will need to ensure you have the following qualifications:
- Level 1 First Aid Certificate
- NZQA Unit Standard 1748 – “Transport passengers with impairments or disabilities” – We have an in-house trainer who can assist with getting this.
These certifications are at your own expense unless other arrangements are made with the Shareholder (the owner of the taxi) you will be driving for.
We recommend you obtain your First Aid Certificate before you begin your training to drive a taxi – we recommend Triple One Care, but you can choose any accredited First Aid trainer you prefer. You must present evidence of the qualification to our office.
You must obtain the P Endorsement through NZTA yourself.
General driver training: All new drivers are put through a training programme with one of our trainers – this normally entails 10 to 20 hours of on the job training, as well as time studying the various guides and manuals we provide you. To pass the driver training you need to be able to:
- Show competency with the operations of taxi equipment
- Display good driving habits.
- Have an adequate amount of area knowledge for Nelson city and surrounds (we recommend studying up on this if you are new to town, or unsure of certain areas).
- Demonstrate that you have a good level of spoken English, and can communicate effectively with passengers.
- Demonstrate fantastic customer service, and know the Nelson City Taxis Customer Service standards.